Jan 9, 2013

My life experience in Budapest (Hungary)


Hi everyone! Holiday season is over, which means I’m back at work. I'm here to share with you my new projects and designs, which I'd like to do in 2013! This post is about my life experience in Budapest, but first I’ve got some breaking news.

Vittorio Missoni the famous fashion designer is missing!

“This kind of incident has a precedent: on January 4th 2008, another plane went missing on the same route and was never found. Weekly magazine Oggi suspects that it might have been hijacked by drug traffickers and used to deliver cocaine.

Anyone in Venezuela with any information is invited to contact the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs by calling the Crisis Unit or e-mailing the Ministry at unita.crisi@esteri.it. Please help us bring Vittorio, Maurizia and their friends home safely.” – on VOGUE

Ok, back at my stuff. My latest post in ’12 was about my kid collection and after that I went to Budapest to show my work at the ReMese contest. The program lasted for 3 days. ReMese is a community building program, where the Transylvanian and Hungarian designers unfold and share their knowledge about design. The topic for this program were tales which the designers had to incorporate in wearable kid clothes. The basic materials for the garment were recycled used textiles. The important part is that the designers had to use traditional Hungarian forms in their garment/design. For me this competition was a really big challenge. This three-day program included three separated topic for each day.

The logo (ReMese worked in a collaboration with KMDSZ from Transylvania)

First day was the “professional day” where a lot of successful designers and bloggers talked about their career and design in general. The program was opened by Szegedi Aliz Torella the head designer/owner of the organization. She talked about the concept and philosophy of the organization. I was impressed when she talked about Hungarian traditional forms, basically costumes, which Hungarian designers incorporate in wearable high fashion garments and in the same time every piece is made out of recycled textiles. All these concepts in one piece, makes any designer take it as a challenge.

Torellas speech.

After Torellas speech came Tatai Tibor presentation. He had a really life teaching experience. He worked on a vector design project for 5 months and when he finished up the company rejected his work without paying. After all the hard work he didn’t gave up, he turned the project to a much functional and usable form. The basic inspiration for he’s project were (surprisingly) traditional Hungarian forms and tales. The vectors which he was creating were of story tellers (mostly about Hungarian history). These vectors got printed on cups, shirts, and other simple objects which were sold as souvenirs. I think Tibor's work was unique, but his story was that really got to me. In this big world of economic crises everybody tries to survive, most people just getting lazy and giving up because it’s hard.

 Tibor presenting.




I think that was the moment, when I realized what I want to do in 2013 as a designer and what is that I want to make it work! Right after Tibor's presentation I was so distracted about my thoughts, I couldn’t concentrate on what was following.

There was another “punch in your face” presentation, where bloggers started to talk about Hungarian fashion. They talked mostly about Budapest in general, but they emphasized how they weren’t pleased on whats on the streets or runways of that city. Hungarian fashion is the most simple and sophisticated design I've ever seen and the bloggers agree with that. They also said how shallow people are on the streets and how they don’t use colored garments. This made me thinking: is the economic crisis or the everyday routine which made them so superficial? Maybe one day I will find out. What I really loved about this presentation were the advices that I got, like: how much the media counts when you are a famous blogger or how much your blog topic changes if you’re a known advertiser, but the most important is criticism and how to choose what’s good for you.

 The bloggers.



The second day was “the competition day”. I was shocked when I found out right before the show that I had to introduce myself in front of “big” peoples/designers, but in the end went well. It was my first kid’s collection so I was paranoid about the children. It was tough, I admit it, because you had to be careful and watch everything.

 The Style Mile kids collection.



When the show was over the jury analyzed all the presentations and garments. For the first time in my life I got promoted for my work. It felt good to be appreciated and I’m thankful for that.

Hegyi Lucia(Luan by Lucia fashion store owner) giving me the diploma

After the show we had a little gathering party with Hungarian fashion icons and designers. It was a pleasure for me to be there and to learn from the best.

The third day was “the get together day”. We all put our portfolios on the table and talked about our life experience and the jury gave us advice about the show. You can read more here.

For me these three days changed my life literally. I’m thankful for this opportunity and for realizing exactly what I want to do in 2013 and I hope everything is going to be just fine.

More about to come in March! How was the REmese changeing program in 2010 you can read here.

These photos were made by Pletl Peter and you can check hes work here.

Stay tuned for our next post of Style Mile :D!

No comments: